It’s October and I’ve decided to do a Halloween takeover! The rise of Brittany Made Me Creepy. Every post this month will be devoted to costume ideas and makeup! Enjoy the first fangtastic look focusing on textured skin and wounds. ^V^
- Eye- Adhere torn up pieces of 2 ply tissue in shape of desired wound with latex. Once the tissue is stuck, layer more latex until it is completely saturated. Let dry, then lift edges to create dimension and depth to your wound. See top, left image
- Boils- Roll tiny spheres of nose and scar wax and adhere to skin with spirit glue. Place clustered together and lightly flatten to create a gnarly patch of boils. #ew See top, right image
- Rotten Skin- Shred a cotton ball into a thin layer. Adhere to skin using latex creating craters and holes as you place the cotton. Coat cotton with more latex until completely saturated. Let dry, then lift and tear holes in the cotton to give wounds depth. See bottom, left image
I filled the holes with Ben Nye Fresh Scab. I also made this zombie some wittle maggot friends out of nose and scar wax to chill in his face. #party
All color was Ben Nye Grease Paint Color Wheels and the blood was from Naimie’s but I don’t remember what kind. ALSO for all the IE makeup fiends looking for some Ben Nye, I highly suggest paying a visit to Fun Corner in San Bernardino! They carry the entire Ben Nye line 🙂 Side note- with all the Spirit and Halloween stores open, it’s a good time to stock up on latex and spirit gum. Stay creepy.
Basically, I love organizing my kit, I got some cool new stuff, and this post is an excuse for me to take pictures of it. Hope it helps someone, somewhere building, organizing, or revamping their kit! It’s gonna get makeup nerdy real quick.
The ZUCA… comes with 5 large removable, clear plastic pouches. It has 3 outside pockets on either side of the case, and a couple small pockets on the back of the case. Inside the door are 2 more clear plastic zip pockets and a mesh net pocket. The entire inside of the case is completely hollow. The top of the inside of the case is lined with a mesh net that acts as a pocket as well. I’m not a fan of loose thingamabobs roaming around my kit, so the amount of storage this case offers for it’s size is what attracted me to it. It has wheels, it’s compact, it has a long retractable handle, and it fits perfectly in my trunk. No, this is not a Zuca sponsored ad.
I use the outside pockets mainly for paperwork (contracts, inspiration pix, business cards). The door pockets are used to hold powder puffs, sponges, and makeup wipes. My case is kinda like a mullet, business on the outside, party on the inside.
The 5 removable plastic pouches contain (I only carry pouches #1 and #2 at all times, the rest are interchangeable depending on the job):
- Skin Care- Moisturizer, Primers, Eye Cream, Finishing Spray, Refreshing Spray, Travel Size Foundations and Setting Powders
- Tools and Accessories- Mascara Wands, Lip Gloss Applicators, Qtips, Tissue, Hand Sanitizer, Eye Drops, Scissors, Tweezers, Carmex, Tape, Travel Size spray bottles of Alcohol and Brush Cleaner
- Airbrush Makeup- Natural Colors, Fantasy Colors, Airbrush Gun
- SpecialFX Makeup- Blood, Grease Paint Color Wheels, Glycerine, Spirit Gum, Latex, Scar Wax, FX Colored Powders, Adhesive Removers, Water Activated Paint Palette
- Foundations- I carry a small palette of foundations in pouch #1. Pouch #5 holds the bulk of my foundations. This pouch normally stays at home. Don’t feel bad for her, she’s an introvert.
**Possibly doing a post about each pouch to give more details about product… We’ll see**
I have 4 Z Palettes, 2 Shadow (48 shadows) and 2 Blush (16 blushes). I originally had 7 other palettes… I was able to condense the same amount of product into these $!! The magnets are strong and you can easily take out the shadows to clean or reorganize a palette. My life is seriously simpler because of these things.
I have 1 large lip palette that holds 24 lipsticks and 3 mini palettes with an additional 15 lipsticks. I have a small clear pouch for my glosses, and a long clear pouch for my pencils (I’m able to fit the small palettes in the pencil pouch, that’s 3 compartments for all those lip products)!
I keep a small clear pouch for lashes, lash glue, mascara, and liner.
All of my powders are kept in a long clear pouch. This one normally stays home too since I have travel size containers of powder in pouch #1.
Last but not least, I have a brush canister. I usually only use this container to keep dirty brushes separate from the clean brushes in my belt. It makes clean up super easy too, put a lid on the dirty brushes and go!
There are a ton of different brands that make different versions of all of the products I mentioned above. I highly suggest paying a visit to Naimie’s, Nigel’s, or Frend’s if you are in the LA area; or you can always shop online. Try different products til you find what works for you. When you have a work station set up the way your brain naturally puts things in order, you’ll feel much more comfortable creating and working. Or I’m as nuts as I have always suspected and this just works for me.
I haven’t posted in a couple weeks!!! Now I’m situated back in CA and ready to go, no more messing around. Let’s talk makeup conventions, specifically PHAMExpo!! Great deals on great brands, opportunities to meet and chat with fellow artists, new products to test out, aaaaand if you’re like me you gawk at all the artists you follow on Instagram. There’s one more day to catch the expo so get down there on Sunday, I’ll be there working at the My Beauty Mark booth 😉
The main reason I wanted to go to this expo was because I wanted to hear what Doe Deere had to say about her start with Lime Crime. Everything about the brand makes you pay attention to it and I honestly get so excited to see what they come up with next. A couple things I was really happy to hear:
1. She tried a corporate job, a clothing line, and a band before she successfully started Lime Crime at the age of 27. There is still hope for me yet. She put everything she had into her makeup with no holding back. She made things happen with no formula as to how, or any steps to make something work. She imposed her will and I dig it.
2. Not that I have haters… But Doe touched on people and their negative BS in response to her putting herself, her handwork, and her art out there for the world to see. She put it this way, Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success. A lot of times I see people my age (or even worse, younger) doing really cool stuff, starting their own clothing lines, designing cool graphics, starting successful blogs, artists doing big things and making a living doing it. I immediately get so angry that I haven’t done anything great and realize I’m hating on myself! I have so many things I want to accomplish, create, and achieve that I forget about how things take time! Once in a while I need to take a breath, use that hate fire to fuel my ambition, and keep moving forward.
Enough of the emo rant. I went shopping and got some cool stuff.
I have to mention Z Palette!! I don’t know why I waited so long to try these, I love them. I hate carrying a bunch of stuff around. With these I’m able to carry 2 palettes (1 shadow and 1 blush) and be good to go! The lid is clear, it can open and lay completely flat, and the magnets are strong. Worth the investment!
Babette from Lime Crime! Cute peachy lipstick comes out July 15… get it. There they go with that freakishly cute marketing again.
Sooo my mind was blown. That’s a cat shaped palette ring. It’s fashionable and functional. Paw Palette had hearts, diamond, lips, lipstick, and gun rings too! OH!! They also come magnetic so you can put shadow palettes or hair pins on your ring or wrist cuff! Definitely work checking out!
I normally stock up on Nigel’s lashes at these shows since they are discounted so much. These were 15 for $20. Basically that’s 20 dollars divided by 15 lashes and that equals CHEAP!!!
I hardly ever buy anything for my personal use, it’s typically for my kit, but I saw this case online a while back and had to have it once I saw it in person. It’s all about cute Tupperware.
I grabbed a little Monda set bag from Naimie’s. After working on a short film (can’t wait to talk about that experience) I realized I needed one. Has a few spots to hold brushes and a few pockets to hold the necessities. I feel much better now.
Lastly, a few brushes! I really like the couple brushes I have from Royal Brush currently so I grabbed a few different kinds. With that last bit of info, I am off to bed and back to the Expo tomorrow… Don’t quit your daydream. -Doe Deere