Sorry, I lied! One more basic beauty post before we get to the good stuff. Holiday goods coming next week, I promise! On to a smokey eye!
As a tip, do your eye makeup first, clean up any mess, THEN apply your foundation. Such a helpful trick (I’ll explain in a bit)!! Once you get the hang of this, you’ll be able to do any color combination! Think of all the possibilities…
- Apply eye shadow primer over entire lid up to the brow. Add highlight color to brow bone.
- Use a black kohl eye liner to line the upper and lower water line. While you have the liner handy, add a little to the lower lash line and a bit to your lower lid (don’t go all the way to the crease). NOTE: I’m adding a black kohl liner to the lid because I want an intense black when I add the shadow. If you are doing a blue smokey eye, you would add a blue kohl to the lid. An alternative to kohl liner would be a colored eye shadow primer or cream shadow. Make sense?
- Smudge liner on bottom lash line and on lower lid. I know you look like a wreck right now but it gets pretty!
- Apply black shadow to the freshly smudged liner, almost all the way to the crease. Really pack the shadow on to get a deep black.
- Blend the black shadow into the crease with a fluffy brush (you can do any color in the crease, just blend the hell out of it).
- Here’s where doing your foundation last comes in to play. If you get a little messy with all the black shadow and some falls on your cheeks, grab a makeup wipe and clean it up!
- Finish with lashes or just mascara. Now you have permission to do your foundation.